If you are having issues with your water supply you have 3 routes in which to complain but you will need a Spanish translator. (Or be able to make yourself understood in Spanish).

Route 1 Go to the Aqualia shop in Mazarron and file a complaint.  (See map below for location and hours)

Route 2 Go to the Town Hall and ask to speak to the Consumer Relations agent who will file a complaint for you.

Route 3 Also at the Town Hall complete a model 001.

The more people that complain the better chance of getting things fixed.

In the meantime, I am exploring contacts at senior management level.

Please advise when your supply is off or back on by emailing info@camposolresidents.es.

Phil Gelling  Chairman CRA

Aqualia Mazarron: